Alphabet Project | A is for abandoned

May 14, 2014
PODcast IMG_3930 - Chilworth gunpowder millstone

A photograph of an abandoned bridge over a lake recently caught my attention. It would have made an intriguing first capture for this project but it wasn’t to be. The decaying bridge and the conservatory it leads to form part of Witley Park. This private estate is also home to Britain’s most extraordinary folly – a ballroom located 40ft beneath the surface of a lake!

Welcome to The Alphabet Photography Project #alphabetphoto.

Continuing with the abandoned theme, this photograph was taken at the Chilworth Gunpowder Mills in Surrey. Established in 1626, it was one of the largest mills in the country and the most important supplier of gunpowder to the government. These solid millstone rocks were once used for grinding gunpowder. The old mill is now a designated monument having closed nearly a hundred years ago.

PODcast IMG_3930 - Chilworth gunpowder millstone

How to join in

The Alphabet Photography Project takes place every Wednesday. A Linky opens at 6am that day until the following Tuesday if you’d like to share a short post about your photograph. There is no badge but if you include a link back to PODcast I’ll happily share your post on Twitter and the Google+ page in return.

You can also share your photo in the Pinterest and Facebook groups or on Instagram (PODcast is here). The hashtag to use is #alphabetphoto.

The theme can be interpreted in any way your choose. For example the letter A might be a photograph of an apple, an object that resembles the letter A (like a pattern in a gate) or a photograph of the letter A using props. It could also be an adjective.

Inspiration for letter B

Here are a few ideas to get us thinking about letter B:

Balloon, bowl, banana, berries, bald, birds, bricks, bags, boxes, beaches, bikinis, books, butterflies, balls, baskets, buildings, bicycles, boots, bells, bokeh, bees, black and white, bridge, barns, blue, bronze, brown, bump, bees, beautiful, beer, brandy, biscuits, bread, badminton, bowling, Berlin, Bruges, beetroot, broccoli, blue-eyed, blushing, bright.

There’s also a Pinterest board if you’re on the hunt for inspiration:

Follow PODcast grappling with a box of frogs’s board Photography: The Alphabet Project on Pinterest.

• Reply Mama H May 14, 2014 at 6:30 am

A stunning photograph as ever! Excited to be joining in! #alphabetphoto

• Reply All about a Mummy May 14, 2014 at 7:49 am

This is a fab idea and a fantastic incentive to get my camera out! X

• Reply Mummy of Two May 14, 2014 at 8:11 am

Such a great idea for a linky! Loving your choice of theme for A and the photo of the millstone is lovely, very atmospheric.

• Reply Dragonsflypoppy May 14, 2014 at 8:25 am

Gorgeous photo and this is a super idea for a linky! Fab fab fab xx

• Reply A is for Ammonite | Time to Craft May 14, 2014 at 9:30 am

[…] joining in with the talented PODcast’s Alphabet Project. A time to focus on improving my photography. Today is the first one, so it’s theme is A. […]

• Reply Verily Victoria Vocalises May 14, 2014 at 9:31 am

A stunning photo – and really innovative as well 🙂 Looking forward to seeing more from this linky xx

• Reply Louise Perry Fairweather May 14, 2014 at 9:38 am

oooo I like the idea of this will have to try and link up. Still have a whats the story post I want to do but haven’t had the time recently x

• Reply Cheryl May 14, 2014 at 9:45 am

Smiling as we both chose stone to photograph. Beautiful ageing surface on yours. Almost as if it is coming to life.

Love this challenge. Can’t wait to see what everyone else has come up with.

• Reply Super Busy Mum {Debs} May 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

Epic photo hun. All linked up! This linky excites me! x

• Reply ninja Cat May 14, 2014 at 10:01 am

Amazing I love this

• Reply Notmyyearoff May 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

Brilliant linky and that photo looks a tiny bit haunting too. Great effect!

• Reply A is for Alone | Little Steps May 14, 2014 at 11:11 am

[…] I’ve linked this post up with PODcast’s Alphabet Photography Project. […]

• Reply Dean May 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

I’ve just linked-in mine! And it’s A for Alone 🙂

• Reply Mrs Teepot May 14, 2014 at 11:23 am

Gorgeous shot, works super well in b&w. Love this project too, hope I can keep joining in!

• Reply Kirsty May 14, 2014 at 11:43 am

Love the textures and the feeling of age in this photograph. Beautiful x

• Reply Donna @OrdCyclingGirl May 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

What a fab idea for a project. I was just saying to my OH how I need to purchase a new camera. I’m not much of a blogger without a decent camera am I. Definitely top of my list! Good luck with the project. What a great start you’ve made with this image 🙂

• Reply Lou's Lake Views May 14, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Such a shame you couldn’t get the bridge shot but the mill stone is pretty awesome too 🙂 Thanks for hosting 🙂

• Reply Kirsty - Hijacked by Twins May 14, 2014 at 1:09 pm

What a fab idea, I will be back to link up after I have had a think and taken some pictures 🙂 x

• Reply City Coastal Lifestyle May 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm

very surreal

• Reply Bex @ The Mummy Adventure May 14, 2014 at 1:33 pm

What a lovely idea for a linky, I have some ideas for B so will try and join in

• Reply Jen aka The Mad House May 14, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Great idea charlie. Look forward to following this on a weekly basis

• Reply Michelle May 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I love photographing the alphabet! I did that during the year for Project365:2011! I’ll have to go and hunt down my “A” picture and share it!

• Reply Michelle May 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Turns out I have an A for this year, so have just added!

• Reply lisa prince May 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

so wish i could capture beauty like this weldone on your great pics x

• Reply YouBabyMeMummy May 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Great idea hun. I took a picture but got too many post on the blog at the moment x

• Reply Sara (@mumturnedmom) May 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Fabulous photo, such texture and depth to it x

• Reply Victoria Mylittlel May 14, 2014 at 6:21 pm

ive seen few post today with “A” but didnt know anything about it, now I know)

• Reply A is for Amethyst #Alphabetphoto | And then the fun began... May 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm

[…] took this picture for The Alphabet Photography Project. Charly from has started the project and the idea is to take a photo of something representing each letter of […]

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily May 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Lovely idea for a linky and brilliant photo to kick it off x x

• Reply Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One May 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Great idea for a linky, just need to get organised! Lovely photo and story behind it, expect nothing less 🙂

• Reply Polly May 14, 2014 at 9:58 pm

beautiful photo, and what a great linky!

• Reply Shay Noble May 14, 2014 at 10:40 pm

This sounds fantastic!! I will be joining in 🙂

• Reply Vicky (@aroundandupsidedown) May 14, 2014 at 10:52 pm

What wonderful photos and such a great idea for a project. Will have to come up with some ideas for letter B 🙂
    Love Vicky
    Around and Upside Down

• Reply Pippa Ainsworth May 14, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Love the photos, I have a fascination for the abandoned and am always snapping when I see it Lovely idea for a project, I’m looking forward to taking part.

• Reply Shell Louise May 15, 2014 at 12:02 am

Love that it;s in black and white 🙂 Glad to be joining in with the linky and hope to be a regular 🙂

• Reply Amy May 15, 2014 at 9:37 am

Lovely shot, it really has an eerie feel to it.

• Reply Helen Dickinson May 15, 2014 at 9:54 am

Fantastic idea for a linky. I love the photo you have managed to capture. x

• Reply Hellie's Corner May 15, 2014 at 11:24 am

Brilliant photo, there’s a lot of history in that stone. Great linky 🙂

• Reply Mammasaurus May 15, 2014 at 12:49 pm

We are on it and joining in. Love the black and white effect – I’m such a sucker for it! Now to think about B…..

• Reply The Alphabet Project. A is for Ash. - kidGLloves May 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm

[…] couldn’t miss the first one in the Alphabet project  – a new linky from PODcast Grappling with a Box of Frogs! Our canine gang member, our bloggy doggy, […]

• Reply older mum in a muddle May 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I like the way you have taken this in black and white, it gives it an eerie feel. You have a lot on your plate now with all these linkys! X

• Reply A is for… | TheBoyandMe May 15, 2014 at 8:50 pm

[…] Linking this up to Podcast Dove's Alphabet Photography Project […]

• Reply TheBoyandMe May 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Ever so dramatic in black and white! I’m loving this idea, late to the game but have finally joined in.

Thanks for hosting.

• Reply PODcast | The Alphabet Photography Project May 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm

[…] Wednesday 14th May 2014, you’ll be able to link up your ‘A is for…’ photograph. The body of your post can be free of words or if you prefer you can include a short description. […]

• Reply Kara May 16, 2014 at 6:36 am

That is a stunning photo – I shall be joining in shortly

• Reply Me and the Tiny 3 » A is for Anticipation – The Alphabet Project May 16, 2014 at 1:11 pm

[…] I’m linking this to The Alphabet Project […]

• Reply YouBabyMeMummy May 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm

All linked up now hun x

• Reply Alphabet Project | A is for Art | Bark Time = everything and nothing May 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm

[…] Alphabet Project is hosted by PODcast […]

• Reply Kate Williams May 16, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Done it! How much love is this linky getting?!? 😀 Mine has no photography skills what so ever but hey ho!!

• Reply Kizzy May 17, 2014 at 8:04 am

Love this photo such character, I think the B&W really makes this stand out

• Reply A is for Air | Bizzimummy's World May 17, 2014 at 9:14 am

[…] am taking part in the Alphabet Photography Linky over at POdcast. Each week will be a different letter with a picture and a few words to represent the letter. This […]

• Reply Oatmeal Raisin Spice Cookies & A Rope Swing May 17, 2014 at 10:08 am

[…] for Every Explorer, so I reckon it qualifies. On the Alphabet theme, PODcast has a new weekly Alphabet Photography Challenge. This week features the letter A. A is for […]

• Reply Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours May 17, 2014 at 10:31 am

Ooh I want to join in with this and only a few days left! EEK! I like the abandoned photo’s, very eerie x

• Reply PODcast | Project 365: week #20 May 17, 2014 at 6:52 pm

[…] routine from today although lunchtime saw a fleeting visit to Chilworth Gunpowder Mill. The Alphabet Photography Project kicked off on Wednesday and I wanted an A is for abandoned photograph. This is one of the […]

• Reply Fritha Strickland May 17, 2014 at 8:36 pm

what a great idea and lovely pictures! x

• Reply A is for… – May 17, 2014 at 10:08 pm

[…] joining in with the Alphabet photography project over with Charly at PODcast. […]

• Reply Tarana May 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm

That’s a beautiful shot, and such a wonderful photo to start this linky!

• Reply Michelle May 18, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I love this linky such a great idea, can’t wait for next weeks x

• Reply Kel May 18, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Great new linky and a fantastic photo!

• Reply Kriss MacDonald May 19, 2014 at 2:44 am

At last finished my post which yeah was an A!
    Beautiful shot – there’s something poignant about it which is felt stronger by b & w.

• Reply PODcast | What's The Story? | 19th May 2014 May 19, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] Thank you too if you joined in with the fun new photography Linky – the Alphabet Photography Project. […]

• Reply The Alphabet Photo Project – A is for Ammonite | ChelseaMamma May 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

[…] Charly from PODcast announced she was doing an Alphabet Photo Project, I knew I just had to take part as I love taking photo’s both on my phone and my camera and I […]

• Reply Photos from Chilworth Gunpowder Mill - PODcast May 19, 2014 at 9:54 am

[…] I’m not sure this wonderful place would have been discovered if it hadn’t been for wanting an abandoned photo! […]

• Reply mummiafelice May 19, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Love this idea so much – thank you for running it! I have linked up.
    your photo is fabulous. It has a sense of mystery about it….slightly eery.

• Reply Alphabet Photography Project | A is for abandoned May 19, 2014 at 10:24 pm

[…] Read the rest of the post at its original source by clicking here. […]

• Reply Jess @ Catch A Single Thought May 20, 2014 at 9:33 am

This is such a stunning picture. Each time I come back and look at it I see something different. Very excited about this project too 🙂

• Reply Alphabet Photography Project: A Is For ... - Dragons and Fairy Dust May 20, 2014 at 10:50 am

[…] am joining in with the Alphabet Photography project over on PodCast, the idea is to have a different photo for every letter of the alphabet and I am looking forward to […]

• Reply Alison May 20, 2014 at 11:34 am

I love this photo, its gorgeous.

• Reply Alphabet Project – Is For Ambulances and Antibiotics | A Journey Of Footsteps May 20, 2014 at 11:46 am

[…] I am linking this post to PODcast Dove’s Alphabet Project. […]

• Reply Kerry May 20, 2014 at 11:51 am

Lovely photo joining in the #alphabetproject for the first time x

• Reply Teaching Kids “Character”: An Alphabetic Journey | One Time Through May 20, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] few days ago I heard about the “Alphabet Project” recently begun by the PODcast blog.  The idea is for bloggers to write a weekly post featuring a photo that has to do with a letter […]

• Reply alphabet project | a is for alley | HPMcQHPMcQ May 20, 2014 at 8:06 pm

[…] see more A’s just here […]

• Reply Alphabet Photography Project | A is for.... | 3 Kids and a Gluestick May 20, 2014 at 11:10 pm

[…] I am linking this post up to PODcast and the Alphabet Photography Project […]

• Reply Jo @ 3 Kids and a Gluestick May 20, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Got my post in.. just in time! Looking forward to joining in with B hopefully earlier than I managed A!
    Great shot of the abandoned mill stone. x

• Reply Rollercoaster Mum May 21, 2014 at 12:03 am

Love this idea – even if I was a bit late discovering it but I was in with minutes to spare – albeit not very imaginative. I loved your them for A and what a dramatic photo.

• Reply PODcast | Alphabet Project | B is for bubbles May 21, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] you to everyone that joined the Alphabet Photography Project last week. It was great to see what you’d chosen for your letter […]

• Reply Robyn @ EssexHebridean May 21, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I’ve just found this project through Sara at A Frugal Wife – and like her am joining in a little late. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply B is for Behaved: An Alphabetic Character-Teaching Journey | One Time Through May 22, 2014 at 11:10 am

[…] Time Through has joined in with the “Alphabet Project” hosted by the PODcast blog.  Each week, we will focus on ideas to teach certain positive character traits that start with […]

• Reply B is for… – May 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm

• Reply Lori May 29, 2014 at 12:01 am

Beautiful, what a great linky and what a great photo to start it with. x

• Reply A is for… | Super Busy Mum August 26, 2014 at 9:09 am

[…] really important.  I’m joining in with Podcasts Alphabet Photography project. Click here to pop over to see more fabulous ‘A is for’… […]