Photos from the beach

We recently spent the weekend at my Dad’s in Budleigh Salterton. This picturesque town is located in the East Devon area of outstanding natural beauty and has a two-mile pebble beach.

It’s a while since POD was by the sea so we took the short clifftop walk down to the beach. It was a glorious day. The sky was bright blue, the sun sparkled on the sea and seagulls squawked above us.

PODcast IMG_8051

It was one of those days where ice-cream was compulsory.

PODcast IMG_8085 B&W

At the top of the beach there are great views of the Otto Estuary which is a nature reserve providing a haven for migrating birds.

PODcast IMG_8104

Just up from the reserve is the perfect place to skim stones.

PODcast IMG_8131

This is Daddy showing POD how it’s done.

PODcast IMG_8150 B&W

POD decided it was far more fun to throw large stones! She may have selected an interesting outfit that day but there’s no denying her stone throwing abilities!

PODcast IMG_8154

We’re used to seeing POD explore the countryside but it was great to see her enjoying the beach so much. She loved selecting stones, throwing them and giggling when they hit the water. The large stones were the most appealing but she did opt for smaller ones on occasions.

PODcast IMG_8203

She didn’t want to leave this area so we stayed for a time making sure she didn’t venture to close to the water.

PODcast IMG_8174

There weren’t many shells around but we discovered a few. POD carefully examined each one to check they weren’t occupied.

PODcast IMG_8257

When we re-located to another part of the beach we sat down to take in the views.

PODcast IMG_8294

POD collect stones whilst displaying a look not dissimilar to Stig of the Dump!

PODcast IMG_8356

Daddy and POD then embarked on building a stone tower. It was strenuous work though so they had to have a lie down when they’d finished.

PODcast IMG_8384

Not long after that POD showcased her jumping and climbing skills. If we weren’t launching ourselves off the beach wall and watching POD scale back up it, we were sat on a bench watching the world go by.

It’s not often you get the opportunity to do nothing but sometimes it’s good just to go with the flow.

PODcast IMG_8461

Linking up with #whatsthestory here on PODcast and #countrykids at CoombeMill.

Related posts:

38 comments

1. I love Devon and we are thinking of planning a little holiday there soon – thus spot looks fantastic. Beautiful photos as always x

2. Looks like you had an amazing time – I think Pod and Eliza would get on famously – she has a thing for throwing huge rocks into the sea too!

3. Oh I went to a wedding in Budleigh once! It is a magical little part of the world for sure. I’m loving that shot of Pod heaving a massive stone into the water – brilliant! X

4. haha. my son has this ritual that they collect stone first before they throw it on teh water. they have 2 stonme categories: skimmer, sinker. And after they collected anough skimmer they throw it together. LOves your photos. Its so nice to see early in the morning =) #whatsthestory

5. It looks like a beautiful place to visit, and you’ve reminded me that I’ve not skimmed stones for years!

6. Looks like a really beautiful place. I have a friend who is originally from there, I didn’t realise how lovely it is. Looks like a lovely relaxing fun time.

7. You’re right, sometimes it’s just lovely to do nothing much at all. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time and I do like the ‘Stig’ shot :-)

8. Great photos, Charly, especially the cool looking one of the PODfather!

9. The whole Devon area looks beautiful. I’ve never been around that area but we plan to one day. I love how Pod looks so relaxed on all those pebbles even though they look a bit uncomfy. And the photo of her skimming stones always makes me chuckle :)

10. Love POD’s red shoes! :) Yes, little T does too. What’s with small kids and hurling big stones in water? I guess they love the splash :) #WhatsTheStory.

11. Gorgeous pictures! Budleigh Salterton’s pretty close to us but I have yet to visit… Looks like I need to find a reason to soon! x

12. Beautiful photos, love the one of her throwing the huge rock in the water! Looks like a lovely and sunny day too :)

13. Beautiful captures Charly. It is wonderful going for a walk by the beach and just enjoying the scenery and mother nature … as well as skimming stones!

14. I thought I recognised that coastline ! Lovely post! #WhatsTheStory

15. Wow gorgeous photos, what a beautiful place! Looks like you had an amazing time :) xx

16. We’re currently down your way and have just had a very blowy walk at Sidmouth :)

17. What a lovely place…. I love the pictures of POD with her Daddy, especially the one of her lobbing that big big stone – very impressive! :o). X.

18. What beautiful photos, I really do love the beach :) Looks like you had a lovely time

19. Beautiful photos. You can’t beat a trip to the beach can you.

20. Wow, amazing photos, they make me feel like I am actually at the beach!

21. looks like a wonderful getaway. love all the pics. the colorful cabanas really stood out to me. reminded me of venice beach california. x

22. That looks wonderful, such a relaxed and happy day. Absolutely love the stig photo :) It’s difficult to beat stones for pure enjoyment, they are possibly only beaten by sticks!

23. Stunning shots as always, looks dreamy there, must make the long trip to Devon ourselves some time, you’re lucky your Dad lives there x

24. Ah this looks like such a lovely day Charly :)

Ozzy always picks a pebble to throw that’s more like a boulder and I always stand and cringe whilst telling him to ‘mind he doesn’t drop it on his toes’! x

25. What a lovely lovely beach day together. Photos if you aren’t sick of hearing it are amazing as ever. Please teach me your tricks! lol Your little one is getting so grown up looking all the sudden. Time really is flying by. WOW. I love this post. It made me feel like i had actually been at the beach with you. #whatsthestory

26. Looks like a fab day hun. Super pictures as usual and good luck with the finals, I hope to see you at BMs xx

27. Wow she’s got a good throw, the stone look huge. Looks like you had a lovely day :-)

28. Looks like a pretty place and I love the idea of ‘compulsory ice-cream’ :)

29. Stunning photos as always and it looks like a really beautiful place to spend the afternoon! #whatsthestory

30. Love reading about your family adventures, you have so many fun days!
    What a beautiful beach. xx

PS: Congratulations on the nomination! :)

31. Beautiful photos as always. Skimming stones! takes me back, my Dad was excellent, I was like POD – more of a chuck it in sort of girl #CountryKids

32. Can’t think of many other places to spend some not-doing-much-time. Although after all that list, it seems you found plenty to do. Beautiful photos and the Stig one wins!

33. I remember that whirlwind visit but it looks like you managed some quality time together too. POD looks quite taken with the sea side and skimming those pebbles with Daddy. Wonderful photos and I love the effects you have used on them too. Thankyou for sharing your beach side fun on Country Kids

34. This looks so idyllic. Gorgeous photos and such lovely memories to keep. #CountryKids

35. I so love your photos!! I really need to start linking up again soon xx

36. Wow, what a lovely part of Devon to visit! Looks like you all had a fab time Charly. The boys would love to skim stones there I’m sure!

37. Beautiful pictures. It really is a gorgeous part of the country and your family look very happy and relaxed x

38. What a fab place to relax! #CountryKids Beautiful photos.