Forest adventures at Alice Holt

PODcast IMG_4018The smell of damp conifers was incredible after all the rain. Inhaling deeply you could almost feel the fresh air kick start your lungs. The sun was shining, there was hardly a cloud in the sky and it was mild.

Managed by the Forestry Commission, Alice Holt covers over two thousand acres of Corsican pine with 350 acres oak.

The forest looked awesome. A shiny sheen was visible on the leaves and there was green moss was everywhere. Like an immense carpet framed with bracket and conifers. Rays of sunlight peeped through PODcast IMG_4165the trees making the ground below sparkle.

The pirate sheep in the timber play area is always a hit as POD can climb the side ropes to get on board and steer. She loved pretending to be a pirate with Daddy, shouting “you can’t have my treasure” up above.

There were a lot of puddles to wade through after that and POD tested the majority. Christening her new coat and snazzy welly warmers in the meantime.

PODcast IMG_4187POD likes to collect things when we’re in the forest but today was all about escaping. Running off as fast as she could with Mummy and Daddy chasing behind. It was the most hilarious game ever!

With the crash helmet in place, it was time to test out the new scooter. POD decided to keep her helmet on afterwards providing on tap entertainment to unsuspecting passers-by. Nothing like a bit of forest fun in a beautiful woodland setting to blow those cobwebs away!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Related posts:

101 comments

1. Sounds like a fab day, and what beautiful pics! Anna J. x

• Thank you Anna. After a toddler meltdown we had a lovely day. Awesome weather too for a change!

2. Escaping is always fun! Looks like a wonderful place to visit, and you’ve some lovely photos there. Thanks for hosting x

• Thank you Jocelyn and for joining! Alice Holt is a lovely forest, the smell was divine at the weekend :)

3. Looks and sounds like a great place! Can’t beat exploring the forest for outdoors fun :D

• Definitely not – it’s such great fun isn’t it :)

4. I only ever hear great things about Alice Holt, looks like a forestry commision gem and what could be better for mind and body than a game of chase in such a beautiful spot. Thank you for linking up to Country Kids

• You would love Alice Holt Fiona, it’s an absolute gem of a place. There’s something rather calming about being surrounded by huge trees – weird I know :)

5. Stunning still, I would love to see all of them as large images, does your theme support this (if you want to)-you are wonderful behind the camera so a shame not to! Alice Holt looks like a super place for little and big people x

• Hehe I do large images in some posts and not in others. The theme does support it but this post has lots of photos – I may make an exception with a few just for you though! Alice Holt is brilliant :)

6. It is nice to see what the photos I see on instagram are about. We ought to get out to Forests more. Gorgeous photos looks a lovely place.

• Thank you Joy – you really should get out to forests, really good fun :)

7. How cute, ‘you can’t have my treasure’ I wonder what her treasure is :D xx

8. So in love with the dark forest and fern shot and Pod’s gorgeous eyes!

9. Oh I love forests and this one looks amazing! As always POD looks so adorable :)

• Thank you Dean that’s so kind of you. We love Alice Holt :)

10. Sounds like a beautiful place. Lovely photos.

11. I love the slideshow thingy here – how did you do that!!! And the pictures are amazing. Really enjoyed this post. #whatsthestory

• Thank you Afra – always have a slideshow when we’ve been out and about. Love it! It’s built into the theme :)

12. How funny, we were going to go there yesterday and I realised I had forgotten to get our national trust membership this year! It looks at nice as I thought it would be :) x

• You don’t need membership there Charlotte – just pennies for the car park. It’s awesome :)

13. Alice Holt is a fabulous place to go with kids. All you need now is a dog! x

• We were talking about a dog recently funnily enough. I’m allergic to anything with fur though so it’s going to have to wait. Love Alice Holt :)

14. Another beautiful place and it sounds like POD had a great time!

• Thank you – it’s wonderful there. Had lots of fun once she’d regained her SOH :)

15. Oh, these photographs are wonderful!! You should link up your post on my new link up project :) x

• Thank you Keri-Anne – I’m all linked up. What a stroke of luck that was!

16. Looks like you had a great time!

17. Sounds like a fun day, we love traipsing through the woods collecting things

• It’s such good fun isn’t it – POD just wanted to run away this time!

18. Looks a really nice adventure I really like the wooden carved owls!

• Thank you Tas – the owls are new I think, not seen them before :)

19. There is something about puddles. They just have to be jumped in. Wellies need to be knee high, in my opinion :-)

• You’re right there – POD just so wet and muddy just before Christmas jumping in a huge puddle!

20. Looks absolutely gorgeous there! You should make your pictures bigger, they look fabulous!!

• Thank you Kate and for the photo complement – I’m tinkering with different photo options at the moment so good to know :)

21. Looks like a lovely fun day. Gorgeous photos :)

22. What a wonderful place! Love the carved wood sticks… and your daughter’s coat!! xx

• Thank you Katia – it’s a fabulous place. POD is sporting her new coat, it goes so well with her eyes! Not that they’re purple obviously :)

23. How wonderful, I’m sure we went to Alice Holt as kids, but I can’t remember it really, just the name. #whatsthestory

• Thank you Mary – it’s a great place to go. Maybe you did go :)

24. Alice Holt looks lovely – whereabouts is it?

• Hehe I should have said in the post – normally do. It’s in Surrey, not far from Farnham :)

25. That looks like a great day – your photos are fab too x x

26. Always great when the weather cooperates! Looks like you had a wonderful day – that comment about the fresh air kickstarting your lungs had me deep-breathing at the kitchen table! I know exactly what you mean, with the temperatures above freezing for the first time in weeks I’ve had the windows open this morning.

• Hope you survived the kitchen table breathing – sorry about that! Really hard to describe such an incredible smell. Least you got to have the windows open today!

27. Sounds like she had a great time! Beautiful photos.

28. What a great day! I love the smell of the woods x

• I think you’ve probably guessed I do too – the wet just made them smell incredible! Lovely day :)

29. Such a wonderful post. Adored every word and picture. Perfect for our link up. Thank you for sharing x

• Thank you Hannah – and for hosting :)

30. I really love these photos, so picturesque. Your daughter is so pretty!

• Aww thank you Mellissa, what a lovely thing to say :)

31. What great photos! I can’t wait to get back to doing proper walks soon.It’s just too wet here at the moment.

• Thank you Aly. The weather has been horrible hasn’t it – we keep sneaking out when it stops. Mind you I got soaked today!

32. I keep looking at Alice Holt online and really want to visit. Your pictures make me want to go even more and it really isn’t that far away……fancy a meet up?

• Thank you! I thought you were miles away from me, will drop you a note if it’s accessible :)

33. Alice Holt – wow you are so close to me – I live in Alton :-) Your photos are fantastic – it looks like you had a fantastic time. I’ve actually never been to Alice Holt as I’m in a wheelchair, but I have heard rumors that there is a wheelchair and buggy accessible path there – do you know if that’s the case?
    Love Vicky x

• We’re in Guildford so not far from Alice Holt which is Farnham way. There are lots of flat concrete paths to follow there so you should definitely check it out :)

34. Pod looks like she had great fun :)

35. alice holt look like our kind of place! lovely lovely photos too x

36. The fifth photo in the slideshow is absolutely stunning, magical fairy forest, beautiful. And, POD looks adorable as always :) Looks like a really fab day x

• Thank you Sara – I love that photo other that a couple of twigs in the foreground! Alice Holt is a wonderful place to visit and smelt utterly divine. POD had a ball (once she’d got over an initial grump!).

37. I love the smell of conifers too. I can really sense nature from this.

• Thank you Astrid, what a lovely thing to say :)

38. Beautiful photos again. I love the one with the light shining through the trees. So so beautiful x

• Thank you very much Carolin, I do like that one with the light coming through the trees :)

39. Pingback: Forest adventures at Alice Holt

40. I can just imagine the smell – lovely. And how wonderful to find pirates there! Great photos as usual lovely x

• Thank you lovely – the smell was divine!

41. Once again, some lovely pictures from you! Sounds like a lovely day out as well!

• Thank you very much – was great to get out. Think we were starting to go stir crazy!

42. I have been shocking at getting outdoors ,especially with all the honk shizzle going on, I’ve need to be at the computer and I’ve missed the woods. Tomorrow morning I’ll be sure to head out and enjoy it!

Alice holt sounds familiar but I can’t think why !

• You must get some fresh air in those lungs Mrs, will do you the world of good. It’s been hard recently with all the rain but so nice to breathe in that wonderful smelling forest :)

43. Fab post and I always so enjoy looking at your photos – sounds like you all ad a fab day #whatsthestory

44. lovely pics as always! x

45. Sounds like a magical day out! #whatsthestory.xx

46. Sounds lovely! Her coat is very nice. #countrykids

47. Lovely pics as usual. This has made me determined to get out into the forrest soon.

• You really must Emily – so nice breathing in that fresh air. Thank you :)

48. Amazing photos. POD is beautiful.

I love the forest exploring, many adventures to be had in the forest! Looks like a lot of fun. x

• Aww that’s so kind. Love playing around in the forest, such good fun :)

49. Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a fantastic day

50. Pingback: PODcast | Project 365: Week #3

51. Stunning pictures!! What lovely wintery outdoor fun! I think this place isn’t too far from us. Need to go visit methinks!! Thanks so much for linking with #SavouringtheSeason Hope you can join again tomorrow!

• Oh you must go and visit Claire, it really is wonderful there. Thank you for hosting, must join in more :)

52. Pingback: PODcast | Winter #OneWeek