Forest adventures at Alice Holt

January 13, 2014

PODcast IMG_4018The smell of damp conifers was incredible after all the rain. Inhaling deeply you could almost feel the fresh air kick start your lungs. The sun was shining, there was hardly a cloud in the sky and it was mild.

Managed by the Forestry Commission, Alice Holt covers over two thousand acres of Corsican pine with 350 acres oak.

The forest looked awesome. A shiny sheen was visible on the leaves and there was green moss was everywhere. Like an immense carpet framed with bracket and conifers. Rays of sunlight peeped through PODcast IMG_4165the trees making the ground below sparkle.

The pirate sheep in the timber play area is always a hit as POD can climb the side ropes to get on board and steer. She loved pretending to be a pirate with Daddy, shouting “you can’t have my treasure” up above.

There were a lot of puddles to wade through after that and POD tested the majority. Christening her new coat and snazzy welly warmers in the meantime.

PODcast IMG_4187POD likes to collect things when we’re in the forest but today was all about escaping. Running off as fast as she could with Mummy and Daddy chasing behind. It was the most hilarious game ever!

With the crash helmet in place, it was time to test out the new scooter. POD decided to keep her helmet on afterwards providing on tap entertainment to unsuspecting passers-by. Nothing like a bit of forest fun in a beautiful woodland setting to blow those cobwebs away!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

You Might Also Like

101 Comments

• Reply Anna J January 13, 2014 at 9:14 am

Sounds like a fab day, and what beautiful pics! Anna J. x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Anna. After a toddler meltdown we had a lovely day. Awesome weather too for a change!

• Reply The Reading Residence January 13, 2014 at 9:44 am

Escaping is always fun! Looks like a wonderful place to visit, and you’ve some lovely photos there. Thanks for hosting x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Jocelyn and for joining! Alice Holt is a lovely forest, the smell was divine at the weekend :)

• Reply anna January 13, 2014 at 10:01 am

Looks and sounds like a great place! Can’t beat exploring the forest for outdoors fun 😀

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Definitely not – it’s such great fun isn’t it :)

• Reply Coombemill January 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

I only ever hear great things about Alice Holt, looks like a forestry commision gem and what could be better for mind and body than a game of chase in such a beautiful spot. Thank you for linking up to Country Kids

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 5:16 pm

You would love Alice Holt Fiona, it’s an absolute gem of a place. There’s something rather calming about being surrounded by huge trees – weird I know :)

• Reply Honest Mum January 13, 2014 at 10:14 am

Stunning still, I would love to see all of them as large images, does your theme support this (if you want to)-you are wonderful behind the camera so a shame not to! Alice Holt looks like a super place for little and big people x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hehe I do large images in some posts and not in others. The theme does support it but this post has lots of photos – I may make an exception with a few just for you though! Alice Holt is brilliant :)

• Reply Pinkoddy January 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

It is nice to see what the photos I see on instagram are about. We ought to get out to Forests more. Gorgeous photos looks a lovely place.

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you Joy – you really should get out to forests, really good fun :)

• Reply hannah clementson January 13, 2014 at 10:28 am

How cute, ‘you can’t have my treasure’ I wonder what her treasure is 😀 xx

• Reply Katie January 13, 2014 at 10:29 am

So in love with the dark forest and fern shot and Pod’s gorgeous eyes!

• Reply Dean January 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

Oh I love forests and this one looks amazing! As always POD looks so adorable :)

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Thank you Dean that’s so kind of you. We love Alice Holt :)

• Reply LauraCYMFT January 13, 2014 at 10:41 am

Sounds like a beautiful place. Lovely photos.

• Reply Afra Willmore January 13, 2014 at 11:10 am

I love the slideshow thingy here – how did you do that!!! And the pictures are amazing. Really enjoyed this post. #whatsthestory

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Thank you Afra – always have a slideshow when we’ve been out and about. Love it! It’s built into the theme :)

• Reply Charlotte January 13, 2014 at 11:17 am

How funny, we were going to go there yesterday and I realised I had forgotten to get our national trust membership this year! It looks at nice as I thought it would be :) x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm

You don’t need membership there Charlotte – just pennies for the car park. It’s awesome :)

• Reply suzanne3childrenandit January 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

Alice Holt is a fabulous place to go with kids. All you need now is a dog! x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

We were talking about a dog recently funnily enough. I’m allergic to anything with fur though so it’s going to have to wait. Love Alice Holt :)

• Reply Mummy of Two January 13, 2014 at 11:41 am

Another beautiful place and it sounds like POD had a great time!

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Thank you – it’s wonderful there. Had lots of fun once she’d regained her SOH :)

• Reply Keri-Anne January 13, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Oh, these photographs are wonderful!! You should link up your post on my new link up project :) x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Thank you Keri-Anne – I’m all linked up. What a stroke of luck that was!

• Reply Kizzy January 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Looks like you had a great time!

• Reply amanda walsh January 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Sounds like a fun day, we love traipsing through the woods collecting things

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm

It’s such good fun isn’t it – POD just wanted to run away this time!

• Reply Notmyyearoff January 13, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Looks a really nice adventure I really like the wooden carved owls!

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Thank you Tas – the owls are new I think, not seen them before :)

• Reply Vaidehi @vaichin January 13, 2014 at 3:20 pm

There is something about puddles. They just have to be jumped in. Wellies need to be knee high, in my opinion :-)

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:36 pm

You’re right there – POD just so wet and muddy just before Christmas jumping in a huge puddle!

• Reply Kate Williams January 13, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Looks absolutely gorgeous there! You should make your pictures bigger, they look fabulous!!

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Thank you Kate and for the photo complement – I’m tinkering with different photo options at the moment so good to know :)

• Reply Karen Bell January 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Looks like a lovely fun day. Gorgeous photos :)

• Reply Funky Wellies January 13, 2014 at 4:34 pm

What a wonderful place! Love the carved wood sticks… and your daughter’s coat!! xx

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thank you Katia – it’s a fabulous place. POD is sporting her new coat, it goes so well with her eyes! Not that they’re purple obviously :)

• Reply Mary @over40andamumtoone January 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm

How wonderful, I’m sure we went to Alice Holt as kids, but I can’t remember it really, just the name. #whatsthestory

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Thank you Mary – it’s a great place to go. Maybe you did go :)

• Reply Mums do travel January 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Alice Holt looks lovely – whereabouts is it?

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Hehe I should have said in the post – normally do. It’s in Surrey, not far from Farnham :)

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily January 13, 2014 at 5:41 pm

That looks like a great day – your photos are fab too x x

• Reply Aisha from expatlog January 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Always great when the weather cooperates! Looks like you had a wonderful day – that comment about the fresh air kickstarting your lungs had me deep-breathing at the kitchen table! I know exactly what you mean, with the temperatures above freezing for the first time in weeks I’ve had the windows open this morning.

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Hope you survived the kitchen table breathing – sorry about that! Really hard to describe such an incredible smell. Least you got to have the windows open today!

• Reply Mum of One January 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Sounds like she had a great time! Beautiful photos.

• Reply Lori January 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm

What a great day! I love the smell of the woods x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I think you’ve probably guessed I do too – the wet just made them smell incredible! Lovely day :)

• Reply Hannah January 13, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Such a wonderful post. Adored every word and picture. Perfect for our link up. Thank you for sharing x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thank you Hannah – and for hosting :)

• Reply mellissa williams January 13, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I really love these photos, so picturesque. Your daughter is so pretty!

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Aww thank you Mellissa, what a lovely thing to say :)

• Reply Aly January 13, 2014 at 9:28 pm

What great photos! I can’t wait to get back to doing proper walks soon.It’s just too wet here at the moment.

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Thank you Aly. The weather has been horrible hasn’t it – we keep sneaking out when it stops. Mind you I got soaked today!

• Reply Kara January 13, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I keep looking at Alice Holt online and really want to visit. Your pictures make me want to go even more and it really isn’t that far away……fancy a meet up?

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thank you! I thought you were miles away from me, will drop you a note if it’s accessible :)

• Reply Vicky January 13, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Alice Holt – wow you are so close to me – I live in Alton :-) Your photos are fantastic – it looks like you had a fantastic time. I’ve actually never been to Alice Holt as I’m in a wheelchair, but I have heard rumors that there is a wheelchair and buggy accessible path there – do you know if that’s the case?
    Love Vicky x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 9:55 pm

We’re in Guildford so not far from Alice Holt which is Farnham way. There are lots of flat concrete paths to follow there so you should definitely check it out :)

• Reply Shell Louise January 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Pod looks like she had great fun :)

• Reply HPMcQ January 13, 2014 at 9:45 pm

alice holt look like our kind of place! lovely lovely photos too x

• Reply Sara (@mumturnedmom) January 13, 2014 at 10:42 pm

The fifth photo in the slideshow is absolutely stunning, magical fairy forest, beautiful. And, POD looks adorable as always :) Looks like a really fab day x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Thank you Sara – I love that photo other that a couple of twigs in the foreground! Alice Holt is a wonderful place to visit and smelt utterly divine. POD had a ball (once she’d got over an initial grump!).

• Reply Astrid January 13, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I love the smell of conifers too. I can really sense nature from this.

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Thank you Astrid, what a lovely thing to say :)

• Reply Carolin January 13, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Beautiful photos again. I love the one with the light shining through the trees. So so beautiful x

• Reply Charly Dove January 13, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Thank you very much Carolin, I do like that one with the light coming through the trees :)

• Reply Forest adventures at Alice Holt January 13, 2014 at 11:39 pm

[…] Read the rest of the post at it’s original source by clicking here. […]

• Reply Dragonsfypoppy January 14, 2014 at 6:55 am

I can just imagine the smell – lovely. And how wonderful to find pirates there! Great photos as usual lovely x

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thank you lovely – the smell was divine!

• Reply Mummy Glitzer January 14, 2014 at 8:05 am

Once again, some lovely pictures from you! Sounds like a lovely day out as well!

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thank you very much – was great to get out. Think we were starting to go stir crazy!

• Reply Mammasaurus January 14, 2014 at 9:07 am

I have been shocking at getting outdoors ,especially with all the honk shizzle going on, I’ve need to be at the computer and I’ve missed the woods. Tomorrow morning I’ll be sure to head out and enjoy it!

Alice holt sounds familiar but I can’t think why !

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm

You must get some fresh air in those lungs Mrs, will do you the world of good. It’s been hard recently with all the rain but so nice to breathe in that wonderful smelling forest :)

• Reply Wicked World of Lucas January 14, 2014 at 9:27 am

Fab post and I always so enjoy looking at your photos – sounds like you all ad a fab day #whatsthestory

• Reply Fritha Strickland January 14, 2014 at 10:30 am

lovely pics as always! x

• Reply oana79 January 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

Sounds like a magical day out! #whatsthestory.xx

• Reply brinabird and son January 14, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Sounds lovely! Her coat is very nice. #countrykids

• Reply Emily @amummytoo January 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Lovely pics as usual. This has made me determined to get out into the forrest soon.

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:11 pm

You really must Emily – so nice breathing in that fresh air. Thank you :)

• Reply Sonia Constant January 15, 2014 at 9:10 am

Amazing photos. POD is beautiful.

I love the forest exploring, many adventures to be had in the forest! Looks like a lot of fun. x

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Aww that’s so kind. Love playing around in the forest, such good fun :)

• Reply Becky Cowley January 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a fantastic day

• Reply Charly Dove January 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

• Reply PODcast | Project 365: Week #3 January 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm

[…] An adventure in the forest the previous day meant we stayed indoors and POD created a monster with no name. I couldn’t resist an algae close-up! […]

• Reply Claire @ Clarina's Contemplations January 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Stunning pictures!! What lovely wintery outdoor fun! I think this place isn’t too far from us. Need to go visit methinks!! Thanks so much for linking with #SavouringtheSeason Hope you can join again tomorrow!

• Reply Charly Dove January 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Oh you must go and visit Claire, it really is wonderful there. Thank you for hosting, must join in more :)

• Reply PODcast | Winter #OneWeek March 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm

[…] has loved all the muddy puddles this Winter. The photograph below was taken at Alice Holt, a local forest where the sun made an appearance shortly after we […]