The beauty of nature

January 9, 2014

PODcast IMG_3495After the explosion of colour we experienced in the Glasshouse at RHS Wisley, there’s a mixed bag of photographs this week.

The garden has taken a real beating recently. A leaning fence flaps like a bird when the wind blows and the ground resembled a giant puddle up until a couple of days ago. Quite a relief the willow tree in the garden is no longer there – beautiful as it was.

It feels too early but buds are beginning to appear and flowers are starting to bloom. Rosy red apples remain in a PODcast IMG_3397nearby tree. The birds are happily chirping away – even at night-time.

These signs of life coupled with the occasional bout of sunshine are a fabulous reminder of last Summer.

Having fun with our toddler in the garden, even it if meant chasing after her with a blob of Factor 50 in your palm, enjoying alfresco dining and taking lots of photographs.

We saw a glimmer of those heady days when we visited friends in Sussex recently. It was chilly when we PODcast IMG_3400ventured out for a walk but the sky was blue and the sun shining. It is the best feeling when fresh country air hit your lungs!

After navigating our way through muddy woodland, we crossed open fields scattered with frosty leaves. Then whilst walking down a lane we saw a butterfly basking in the sunshine. A strange yet welcoming sight for January. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Spring was on its way?

Linking up with Mammasaurus for How Does Your Garden Grow?

Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

You Might Also Like

69 Comments

• Reply Claudia January 9, 2014 at 12:27 pm

what beautiful photos. as usual. but i am a big fan of the frosted brown leaves. lovely. xx

• Reply Charly Dove January 9, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Thank you Claudia – it’s a real mixed bag this week :)

• Reply The Reading Residence January 9, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Beautiful photos, as always. That butterfly shot is fabulous, and it’d be nice to think spring’s just around the corner x

• Reply Charly Dove January 9, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thank you Jocelyn. So strange to see a butterfly at this time of the year isn’t it. Would be great if Spring was around the corner :)

• Reply Mum of One January 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Gorgeous shots! I think there is almost something quite haunting about frosted leaves.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

Thank you – you’re probably right there :)

• Reply natalie January 9, 2014 at 2:03 pm

beautiful photos and a lovely blog.

• Reply Mammasaurus January 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I love how the rosy apples match PODs wellies! That butterfly is great – what an optimistic thing to see – roll on the sunshine I say.
    Much love for frosty leaves at the moment too – it just goes to show that the simplest things like a leaf can look just as pretty as an show-winning rose!

Thanks for joining in again and sharing – I know it’s not easy at the moment with all the rain! x

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:29 am

Pleasure to join – thank you for hosting. It’s so nice have a bit of sunshine and frost, give me that over rain any day :)

• Reply Aly January 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Butterflies already??? Wow, I still want the snow to come :(

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:30 am

I’m sure if it gets colder that snow will come. Nice seeing butterflies though :)

• Reply Mums do travel January 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

That’s a brave butterfly. I didn’t know they could survive in cool temperatures.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:37 am

It was a strange sight it has to be said!

• Reply Iona@redpeffer January 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I do love that butterfly shot, our garden resembles a quagmire at present-not terribly photogrpenic!

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:48 am

Thank you. Know what you mean about the garden, it’s not looking its best although nice to see some sunshine today :)

• Reply bluebirdsunshine January 9, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful photos, and so lovely to see the butterfly. Feels as if there’s nothing living in my garden at the minute! Roll on spring!

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you very much. I know what you mean about the garden, I was amazed to find some buds!

• Reply Sara (@mumturnedmom) January 9, 2014 at 3:30 pm

It’s so lovely to see even a tiny splash of colour, our garden just looks dirty at the moment! It really is amazing to have caught that butterfly. Loving the frosty leaves :)

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

It really is lovely to see some colour, even just a little bit! I was amazed to see that butterfly. Incredible sight. I always imagine your garden all snowy with the sky bright blue :)

• Reply charmaine January 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm

lovely photos and great to see some signs of Spring ahead… though I do wish it would hurry up a bit, I’m freezing! x

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:52 am

How lovely would that be – come on Spring!

• Reply Hellie's Corner January 9, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Lovely photo’s and so nice to see a dry day instead of all the rain.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

Thank you very much – makes such a difference when the sun comes out :)

• Reply Kirsty January 9, 2014 at 6:37 pm

It is so mild at the moment but the torrential downpours are making getting out in the garden pretty impossible here too x

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

The weather’s been horrid hasn’t it. So hope it calms down soon. We have sunshine today though :)

• Reply Lori January 9, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Lovely photo’s especially the pop of colour. I wish we had a garden to join in, but alas we just have lots of cacti :) x

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:54 am

Ooh cacti are lovely, I’ve seen some rather great ones recently. Thanks for popping by :)

• Reply Keri-Anne January 9, 2014 at 6:51 pm

We walk through a wood on the way to and from school everyday and have noticed flowers blooming and buds appearing already! I am so afraid that we will have snow and they will all freeze! x

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:55 am

I do worry that will happen too Keri-Anne, will be so sad. Sounds like you have a wonderful walk to and from school :)

• Reply Janie January 9, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I’m saw snowdrops yesterday, things are changing. Beautiful photographs, I particularly like the berries, & wonderfully evocative description.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:55 am

Thank you Janie – amazing seeing snowdrops already. Again it still seems so early :)

• Reply anna m January 9, 2014 at 7:17 pm

would indeed be very lovely if spring was on it’s way – I can’t wait to be honest!

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:56 am

Me neither – I do hope it comes soon :)

• Reply Fritha Strickland January 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm

these are lovely! great shot of the butterfly too! x

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily January 9, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Such lovely photos x x

• Reply Dragonsfypoppy January 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I adore the photographs. How amazing to see a butterfly basking like that! xx

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

Incredible isn’t it – couldn’t believe it. Thank you :)

• Reply Emma January 9, 2014 at 8:53 pm

What wonderful photos! When we lived in Denmark, we arrived in time for the longest winter in 50 years. When the snow finally left in the April, I remember spotting a similar butterfly and it was such a wonderful uplifting sight! :)

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

Gosh that must have been amazing after all that cold. I bet you had the biggest smile :)

• Reply Shell Louise January 9, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I’m really looking forward to spring: I’m itching to get some seeds planted! Love the butterfly :)

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:58 am

Thank you – will be lovely if it could come that little bit earlier wouldn’t it :)

• Reply Kara January 9, 2014 at 9:01 pm

butterfly this time of year…..I guess it has been mild! Stunning photographs!

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:58 am

Thank you Kara – such a wonderful sight to see a butterfly :)

• Reply Amanda January 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Gorgeous photos!! We have a rose trying to bloom in our garden, how mad is that? It’s so mild the plants seem to be really confused.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 8:59 am

Thank you very much. How weird you have a rose coming, all the plants seem to think it’s Spring!

• Reply Jenny January 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I’m really looking forward to getting out this weekend as there’s no rain forecast for once. Beautiful photographs.

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 9:00 am

Thank you Jenny. Let’s hope its lovely and clear this weekend :)

• Reply Jenni January 9, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I always love how frost looks on leaves, great pic!

• Reply Katie January 9, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Is that your Christmas tree that is down by Pod? It looks huge. And what happened to the Willow, man or nature? Will have to go back and see if I missed something!

• Reply Charly Dove January 10, 2014 at 9:01 am

I wish it was our tree Katie. We were at friends and one of their trees had come down. The willow went a year or so ago now. Very sad to see it go but it was causing subsidence so it had to!

• Reply Sam @happyhomebird January 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

Such beautiful words and photographs. I am longing for some frost to take some piccies. Sam

• Reply Charly Dove January 11, 2014 at 12:49 am

Thank you Sam – same here! This was the only day I’ve been able to photograph it :)

• Reply Helen Sims The good life mum January 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

wonderful frosty leaves i bet you had a little hunt to find one so lovely as that

• Reply Charly Dove January 11, 2014 at 12:52 am

Funny you should say that Helen, it was the only time I’d seen frost. I did what the perfect leaf but what that is I have no idea!

• Reply Kathleen January 10, 2014 at 12:36 pm

What wonderful thoughts! I wish we had some buds or signs of spring but no instead it is a lot of rain and cold weather. Beautiful photos!

• Reply Charly Dove January 11, 2014 at 12:53 am

It’s funny I didn’t think we had anything until I went on a wander. We were lucky being at friends when the sun shone. Hoping that comes back soon :)

• Reply Actually Mummy... January 10, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Amazing that you managed to find so much colour in such wet weather – just goes to show there is sun there if you catch it at the right moment!

• Reply Charly Dove January 11, 2014 at 12:54 am

You’d laugh if you saw us – darting outdoors as soon as the weather improves! I’m like a human jack in a box at the moment :)

• Reply Emily @amummytoo January 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Beautiful, beautiful pics. The second one is my favourite – perfect!

• Reply Charly Dove January 11, 2014 at 12:54 am

Thank you Emily, really kind of you :)

• Reply liska January 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Isn’t nature beautiful? As is your photography x

• Reply Notmyyearoff January 11, 2014 at 2:02 am

So many beautiful colours even at this time of year! Lovely photos x

• Reply The beauty of nature January 12, 2014 at 12:12 am

[…] Read the rest of the post at it’s original source by clicking here. […]

• Reply older mum in a muddle January 12, 2014 at 10:53 am

Gorgeous photos….. you can get such intersting shots in the winter. Our fence blew down in the window too. There is now a gaping hole between ours and our neighbour’s garden. X