Taking a toddler to a wedding

September 10, 2013
PODcast IMG_5568 edit

Little did we know POD would be in the midst of potty training when we accepted an invitation to a friend’s wedding. Given she’d made the transition to big girl pants two weeks earlier however we were full of optimism.

It was an interesting journey to the venue. A stop in a country lane highlighted a need for the absent potty as POD declined to go beside a barley field. Although it seemed she had some success at the pub we stopped at, she requested to go again just as we left the car park.

At a service station with no public facilities we were surrounded by everything from screen wash to Smarties. POD refused to go but took great joy in attempting to open nearby bottles. We didn’t stop again until we reached the venue where we discovered POD has a fear of hand dryers.

Lying on the floor in-between the door and the bar, she then pretended to be a fish. A position that doesn’t bode well for introductions or getting a drink. Following a much needed period of outdoor play, POD then busied herself with drawing and wearing her headband across her eyelids. She hardly spoke until the ceremony.

“Daddy I’m a bit bored” POD was told she could go outside afterwards.

“Hip hip hooray” It’s not finished yet, put your arms down.

A period of fidgeting, cutlery play and a falling glass shortly afterwards led to a muted Peppa Pig making an appearance.

“Oh look Mummy there’s Peppa!” Yes be really quiet though, it’s not finished.

“Mummy I escaping” And with that she left the table.

A further trip to the toilet was far more thrilling than the last. Knickers were looped around the toilet roll holder. Cries of “Well done Mummy you did a wee” were coupled with dancing and clapping.

It didn’t take POD long to work out how to unlock the door. Your toddler shouting “hello everybody” to passers by is just what you need when you’re mid pee. Attempting to close the door in four inch heels with pants restricting your movement isn’t ideal either!

After a spot of fun in the sunshine, POD was back inside for the speeches. Just before the best man began his stories, the silence was broken with our toddler shouting “Mummy I need a poo”.

We’re linking this post up with Wot So Funee? at Actually Mummy. If your children have been saying some funny things this week, you can join in below.

Wot So Funee?

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

• Reply Notmyyearoff September 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hahahaaaaaaa oh noooo I know I really shouldn’t laugh because chances are Z will be doing the exact same thing soon but it made me chuckle so much. I really dread z opening the lock of the loo door and I’m always expecting him to do it and swing the door wide open!! It does sound like she’s doing really well with potty training though :)

• Reply Charly Dove September 10, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I’d have chuckled just as much at your post I’m sure! I’ll keep my fingers crossed Z doesn’t work out how to use the toilet door. POD now finds it highly amusing, tried in Cote the other day. As if walking through a restaurant with a potty wasn’t embarrassing enough. She’s doing well though :)

• Reply WallyMummy September 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Toddlers are actually allergic to weddings… the best ones are the really long ones in churches I LOVE those with WallyBubba… makes me very thankful for the free wiiiinnnnnnnneeeee. :) #funee xx

• Reply Charly Dove September 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

It was an experience it has to be said! I *might have* exhausted the wine supplies :)

• Reply Actually Mummy... September 10, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Could have been worse – you could have been in spanx! 😉

• Reply Charly Dove September 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Now that would have been interesting *snort*

• Reply Taking a toddler to a wedding | Love All Blogs September 11, 2013 at 9:45 am

[…] Read the rest of the post at it’s original source by clicking here. […]

• Reply Dragonsfypoppy September 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Oh POD what fantastic timing you have! Especially when announcing you need a poo. I love it :)

• Reply Charly Dove September 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm

She’s hilarious – I’m sure she did it on purpose. She’s a smart little cookie :)

• Reply Mammasaurus September 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Heh heh impeccable timing POD !

• Reply Katie September 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Love it!

• Reply Charly Dove September 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Little tinker! Just read your troll wedding post, hilarious :)

• Reply Sara (@mumturnedmom) September 13, 2013 at 12:05 am

Oh, brilliant! This really made me chuckle :) The joys, huh?! I sometimes wonder why we go anywhere at all :)

• Reply Charly Dove September 13, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thanks Sara – so embarrassing at times but impeccable timing in the speeches :)

• Reply PODcast | How does your garden grow? October 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

[…] Dove garden is in pretty good shape following POD’s Christening. The new additions have been well looked after although some took a battering in the heavy rain […]

• Reply PODcast | The year in pictures January 1, 2014 at 2:10 pm

[…] also attended her first wedding – another excuse to wear a beautiful dress. Not ideal event in the midst of potty training but we […]